In the digital age, cybersecurity is not just a necessity, but a paramount responsibility. With an ever-evolving landscape of threats, setting up and managing a Security Operations Center (SOC) has become an integral part of maintaining the security posture of organizations.
Kris Hermans is a veteran in the field of cybersecurity, with over two decades of experience. Renowned for his pragmatic and clear approach to complex security concepts. With decades of experience in setting up and managing SOCs around the globe for large multinational corporations and government agencies alike, Kris shares his wealth of knowledge in this comprehensive guide.
In this book, you will:
- Understand the fundamentals of a SOC and its vital role in an organization.
- Learn the steps to plan, set up, and equip your SOC.
- Discover effective strategies for recruiting and training a competent security team.
- Gain insights into managing the day-to-day operations of a SOC.
- Explore advanced concepts like threat intelligence, incident response, and continuous improvement for your SOC.
- Learn to prepare for and pass any SOC audit.
- Learn how to improve the SOC performance and function.
Whether you're a novice security professional or a seasoned IT manager, this book provides a roadmap to navigate the challenges and triumphs of setting up and managing a SOC.
- Steps for Hiring a SOC
- Hiring challenges
- Finding the right talent
- Frequent turnover
- Creating your hiring strategy
- Justifying your hiring budget
- Security operations organizational chart
- Types of staffing models
- In house
- Building your SOC team
- Chief Information Security Officer (CISO)
- SOC Manager
- Security engineer
- Incident responder
- Security analyst
- Retaining your security team
- Hire the right people
- Optimize your job listings
- Evolution of the SOC function
- Define the scope and objectives
- Assess current security posture
- Develop a security strategy
- Build the team
- Implement security tools and technologies
- Establish security processes
- Launch and monitor the SOC
- SOC tools (SIEM and SOAR)
- Choosing the right SIEM (security information and event management)
- Choosing the right SOAR (Security Orchestration, Automation and Response)
- How to perform a SOC audit
- Assessing Real-Time Threat Monitoring Capabilities
- Compliance Management
- Policy Integrity
- SIEM Calibration and Maintenance
- Incident Response Planning (IRP)
- Perimeter Defense Responsiveness
- Recovery Capabilities
- Threat Readiness Exercises
Buy Now: Available in Hardcover, Paperback, and eBook formats.